Monday, April 25, 2016

Forgot my Planner (Week 59)



I forgot my planner from last transfer so it's going to be a little bit spotty trying to remember everything that happened. I guess first off I can talk a little about transfers, which started yesterday but not for me and Elder Schwanke. We are both training, but he is going to Warsaw. The trainees don't get in until Thursday so we are in a state of limbo until then, also I might not even be able to come back to Krakow until Friday because there is something weird going on with their legal work so we might not be able to leave Warsaw for a while. So it should be a fun week. I am going to be District leader, at least for the first couple of weeks. President said it might be a good idea to put that job onto Elder Vance or Lanterman at some point so they can take more responsibility and I can focus on training.

This past week was a little bit slow to be honest, we had some stuff fall through so we spent a lot of time doing finding. We found some solid people, but nobody has turned into new investigators from that quite yet. On Wednesday we had English class and afterwards we set up a meeting with this girl who had expressed interest in the church the previous week. The meeting was for sunday, and we confirmed it Saturday night, but on Sunday we got a text a couple hours before the meeting that went something like this "Hey, I'm not going to be there at 16 today. I left your book at the reception. I'm not coming to English anymore. I don't like your religion. I don't want to get to know it. Goodbye." Totally random, that was a bummer. Unfortunately if you Google Mormons in polish the first couple of links are very anti (one of them was read to us by an investigator a couple weeks ago). So I assume so ran across that. It's really unfortunate because we haven't been able to make contact since then. 

But instead of that meeting we got to go do some tracting then went to the Strobel's house for dinner and gave a spiritual thought. Which was really nice.

I didn't mention this last week, but we had a really cool experience. We were contacting on Wednesday a week ago after English class and we contacted a guy who basically said "Look guys, I don't have time. I'm actually on my way to a bible study class, do you want to come?" And I looked at Elder Schwanke, he looked at me, and we went with him. The guy's name is Grzegorz. We went into this big old Church called Saint Anna's and listened to the priest explain why Catholics don't believe the 2nd commandment "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth." It was actually really funny, because he totally acknowledged that if you take that commandment literally they would be in trouble. He looked around the chapel and was like "I sure hope that God didn't mean this literally". Anyways, we were sitting there and I was feeling a little bit anxious because I felt like we were kinda wasting time, so I said a little prayer to see whether we were supposed to be there, and I got a really good confirmation that we were supposed to be there. So we stayed, and talked to Grzegorz a little bit afterwards, and he was totally interested in hearing our message. Unfortunately it's been hard to set up a meeting because he is out of town from Thursday-Sunday every week, and busy with school on the other days. But we will meet eventually.

Yesterday we had a really good lesson with a guy name Gabriel. He was a self referral out in Mydlniki which is like 40 minutes away by bus (or 10 minutes by train as he informed us). We went out there to deliver his book of Mormon and he let us in to teach him a lesson, I should preface this by saying that self referrals are 9 times out of 10 bad experiences, they are either bad numbers and bad addresses, or the person denies ever ordering a book. But this guy was super prepared, we shared our message and he took it really seriously, he told us he is definitely searching and is super excited to read the book. He wants us to let him read it first before we meet again... we will see about that. Hopefully we can meet sooner.

I love you guys and can't wait to skype in a couple weeks!
-Elder Everett

No comments:

Post a Comment